Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Help Me Find It

Have you ever found yourself at a crossroads in your life?  In your friendships?  In your finances?  In your marriage?  In your hobbies and interests?  In your job?  With your children?  With your faith?

I know I have at various points in my journey, and as a human who is flawed and far from perfect, I immediately have a small, fleeting moment of panic.  I know that, for me, this is my inner control-freak who loves to have a plan...for everything.


From every single detail of our vacations to all of my tasks that need to be accomplished throughout the day, and Lord knows every trip to the grocery store, I feel better when I have a plan.  I use the plan mentality in business, as well, and it has been very successful for me.

Sometimes, though, I feel a stirring in my soul about some facet of my life, and since this usually happens unexpectedly, I tend to freak out for just a moment because I didn't plan on it happening and I don't have a plan in place to combat my feelings of doubt or worry.

This happened to me just the other day, and as He usually does, I love how God touched me and met me where I was...in the car, driving to an appointment for work.  I was just starting to feel that old familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I started chewing on the inside of my cheek (nervous habit). My mind was racing 1,000 miles per minute.  Then, I heard a song and I simply had to smile after listening to the lyrics.


There's more lyric goodness where that came from, and I felt like God was talking directly to me.  Even though I didn't mean to do it, I realized that if I'm stressing about the direction _________ will go in my life, do I really trust God?  He is the only being in the world that has never, ever failed.  He is good, He is gracious, He is glorious, and He is great - do I not trust that He wants the best for me and is leading me there?

I definitely had a gut-check moment. He already knows every detail about my life and where it will go. He knows my every desire and need before I ever even think it.  He knows my heart - heck, He made it.  His Holy Spirit lives in me, and is constantly leading me if I will listen.

So how do you do it?  How do you place your own will and desire for control aside and simply trust God?  

I'm obviously no expert or this post would cease to exist.  Here are 5 things that help me with the "less of me and more of You" struggle of my life.

1.  Ask God to reveal His will to you.  Tell God what you're feeling (even though He already knows).  He desires a relationship with you and relationships take both people communicating. If you're feeling unsettled or unsure, ask Him to tell you what to do, and do so from a place of obedience.

2.  Practice patience. This one is tough for me and I understand why they say it's a virtue. It's HARD! But God's timing is the best timing and sometimes when I feel like He's not answering me, His Holy Spirit leads me to see that He's not ready for me to make any moves yet. I'd rather wait and do things His way since he's yet to experience failure and I practically invented the word.

3.  Read His Word. Psalm 33:4-6 -  "For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love. By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth." / Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." / Isaiah 40:28-31 - "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;  but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  There is example after example of God fulfilling His promises to His people.  You and I are in that category - we are HIS! He loves us and wants us to be happy, and we are worth more than anything else to Him!

4.   Ask for help.  If you are really feeling down about a decision you feel you need to make in your life, call on your brothers and sisters in Christ, your pastor, your colleague - anyone who is willing to pray for you and intercede on your behalf.  You may not get the answers you desire more quickly, but I can't think of any time having people pray for you has hurt anyone, and the support feels amazing!

5.  Pray for peace.  Sometimes, the thing that works best for me is to lay my cards on the table with God and then pray for peace.  I tell God, if You'd have me do _____, let me know.  If You'd like me to be still, let me know.  Whatever Your will for my life is, I trust in You, and I ask You to bring me peace.  Guess what...He usually always does this for me.  I just wake up feeling better, more relaxed.  He reminds me that "He's got this."

What do you do to place God's will for your life over your own?




Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment