Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Young Girls, Young Women: BE DIFFERENT!

As this post makes its way into the world, the internet is abuzz - aflame, even! - after some recent pop culture events.  This past weekend marked the highlight of the tween, teen, and young adult's social television viewing calendars - the 2013 MTV VMA Awards.

While I can't recall the last time I actually tuned in to any programming on MTV, I had heard rustlings that one of my favorite childhood bands, *NSYNC,* would be reuniting during one of Justin Timberlake's performances.  Obviously, for anyone who grew up listening to the ever-popular boy bands like I did, this was must-see TV!  (Sidebar: NSYNC did reunite.  They and Justin Timberlake were absolute professionals and put on the type of show their fans adore. It was nostalgic and wonderful for me.)

As much joy and excitement as I felt about this reunion, I must say that the placement of this portion of the show was poor.  Even NSYNC couldn't bring me back from the depths of sorrow and disgust I had been previously banished to after seeing a performance by Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke, two of pop culture's reigning "stars."

I will not post pictures of Ms. Cyrus, as she doesn't need any more attention or publicity. I have never witnessed a desperate cry for help performance such as this one, and I sincerely hope I never bear witness to another.

I do not hide my faith, nor will I ever be ashamed of it.  I don't use it to condemn people or judge people, because that's not at all what faith is for. I don't use it as justification in an argument.  I don't use it to "lay the hammer down" in intense conversations.  My faith does not make me better or more worthy than anyone else.

I'll tell you what my faith does.  My faith gives me inner strength.  My faith gives me goals and personal bests to strive for.  My faith gives me hope.  My faith gives me peace in times of trouble.  My faith enhances my life, and the only thing my faith is ever "used for" is to hopefully enhance the lives of others.  That is not to say that I expect people to share my faith or my beliefs - I wholeheartedly believe that is a personal choice.  All I know is that I want people to be able to see glimpses of Him through me, and that is enough.

This perfectly brings me to addressing the intended audience of this post - girls and women.  One thing my faith challenges me to do is this:



In a world where it's "cool" to give your body to any pair of eyes that see it, BE DIFFERENT. Choose modesty.  Remember that less is always more in this department - leave something to the imagination, and when in doubt, leave more to the imagination.  You don't have to wear a wetsuit or turtleneck every day so don't be silly in this area. Just aim to be classy. You don't have to show the arms and the legs and the chest and the back.  Choose one area (but don't give away the farm) and cover the rest. I promise you that respecting yourself is sexier to the opposite sex than walking around practically naked.

In a world where people constantly tell you that your worth is based on the way you look or the clothes you wear or the crowd you hang out with, BE DIFFERENT.  This passage is a great reminder about what is important and where your worth comes from, and I'm here to tell you this is the truth, so believe it!

1 Peter 3:3-4
In a world where everyone is obsessed with me, me, me, and what's in it for me, BE DIFFERENT.  The world needs more selfless people.  If you see a problem and do nothing to help, you are part of the problem, so be part of the solution. If you have the opportunity to extend kindness to another human being, do it.  If someone drops something, help them pick it up.  If someone you know is struggling, give them a hug, listen to them, pray with them or for them.  If an opportunity for community service arises, volunteer and give back.  If you want the world to change, you have to be willing to try to change the world!  And the best part is, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

In a world where "the only option" is doing whatever your "friends" are doing, BE DIFFERENT.  Every single person has an internal moral compass - you know right from wrong.  If something feels wrong to you in your gut, it probably is, and therefore the cool thing is not to do it.  Giving in to peer pressure has negatively affected so many lives - people have made bad choices, suffered health-wise, committed crimes, gone to jail, killed someone else, or have died themselves. It's okay to go another way. In fact, it's more than okay. You not only will benefit yourself, you could even save someone else by giving them the strength and courage to be different.  This is called being a positive role model, and I know you'll make a great one!

In the over-sexed world we live in where it's cool to "express yourself" through sexual acts or conduct, BE DIFFERENT.  Believe it or not, sex is a good thing - it's special. (I know you weren't expecting me to say that). It's supposed to be something sacred for you to share with someone you are in love with who loves you back.  For crying out loud, the only way to create life for humans is through sex - it has a purpose. You need to remember this when you're watching shows like "Sixteen and Pregnant."  Trust me, even though each and every one of those teen moms love the children they made in high school, I bet if you spoke to them when the cameras weren't rolling, they would share the HONEST view of what parenthood is like and I am willing to wager that they don't think all aspects are "cool."  If you feel prepared and ready and old enough to have sex, you need to make sure you are prepared and ready and old enough to love, care for, and financially provide for a child, too.  You also need to remember that when selecting a sexual partner - would he/she make a good parent?  It's definitely possible that you could be linked to that person for the rest of your life, so make these decisions count.

To bring this around full-circle, I know a certain pop star recently thought it would be cool to reveal too much of herself on national television.  I bet she's not currently enjoying the negative comments about the condition of her body or the ways in which she chose to use her body.  It doesn't matter at all to me if she responds to these comments with violence or anger or further rebellion - she is still a person.  She is still a woman.  I know that no matter how "big and bad" she is that these comments hurt her. 

In a world where it's popular to throw stones and bring people down, BE DIFFERENT.  I had the same negative feelings that many people did after seeing the choices she made - I would never want my daughter or anyone's child to see and emulate that type of behavior - with a married man, no less!  The only difference here is that I felt compelled to pray for her.  I asked God to forgive her for any sins of her life and to show her how beautiful she is.  I asked God to rally her family and friends to surround her and support her (not her behavior) during this surely difficult time.  I asked God to lead her in a better way - one she won't regret seeing for the rest of her life.  I asked God to give her purpose and to remind her that she is fearfully and wonderfully made and that He doesn't ever make mistakes.  He is perfect, and while no human apart from Jesus is perfect, we were all made in His image, and that is something special!  I asked God to bring the type of love into her life that she would feel was worth waiting for - someone that she wanted to be better for who is strong enough to lead her. 

I asked God to remind all of the people of the world, myself included, that we have all done things in life we shouldn't have done.  We all have better decisions we should have made.  Just as we do not want to be condemned or judged, we should extend the same kindness to this young lady.



Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment