Friday, August 30, 2013

Ummm....Forever?

Today, August 30th, is a very special day in our {DUSTYRibs} history as it was one of the most pivotal moments of our entire relationship. The particular 30th day in August that started this day in being special for us took place two years ago - August 30, 2011.

That day started like any other day. It was four days after my birthday, and for my birthday, Dusty had taken me on a little weekend getaway to a national landmark - Natural Bridge, Virginia! It was a super cool trip - we hiked, took pictures, played tourists in town, went down into the caverns (super cool and sorta scary), and we toured a creepy little wax museum. Even though that part was creepy, it was still very cool since whoever made the wax people really did do an awesome job!

The next week, I was hanging out with a girl friend chatting and watching TV, and Dusty called and said that a present he'd gotten me had come in late and he wanted to meet me so he could give me my gift.  I thought that was interesting since I thought the trip was my gift, but who doesn't get excited about surprises?

I drove home to the townhouse I was renting and he met me there and he told me that he had another surprise planned, too.  I was curious, for sure, but he really wasn't acting strangely.  Dusty told me that since the gift had just come in today, he hadn't had time to wrap it and so he would need to blindfold me if that was okay with me.  I agreed, and then he said he wanted to take me somewhere.  In the car. Blindfolded.

While I was a little afraid someone would see him driving me around like that and create an Amber Alert, I went along with it because he seemed really excited about the present. We drove for what felt like forever and talked on the way there.  When we finally reached our destination, he got me out of the car, onto some pavement, and walked me out aways.  Then, he started a sweet conversation with me and was asking me several questions, one of which was about something we talked about on our very first date.  Little did I know that he was not actually standing face to face with me during this conversation.


Then, he asked me to remove my blindfold, and as I was doing that, he asked me the most important of all of the questions he's ever asked me.  Dusty asked me if I would be his wife!

Clearly, I was NOT expecting that.

How could I ever say no???  I love this man!

Umm, is someone taking pictures of us?
It was around this point that I realized he had brought me to the parking lot of the same restaurant of our first date, which was a blind date.  This was the place where we met.  This was the place where we both realized that something special was happening.  This was the place that started it all.

My little sister was about as excited as I'd ever seen her when we drove across town to show her what had just happened!  WE WERE ENGAGED!!! Dusty has a crazy face here, and I've been crying, so excuse us.

My gorgeous engagement ring in Dusty's hand! Be still my heart!


August 30, 2011 was seriously one of the best days of my life.  It's a day I'd dreamed about since I was a child - to think of the weight of someone asking you to spend FOREVER with them is surreal and mind-boggling...and it was amazing!

So here's to the second anniversary of our engagement!  I love that Dusty is so good at surprising me!  I look forward to a lifetime of love and surprises and most of all, being married to him! 

Blessed doesn't even begin to describe it.

Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment